Media Sponsorship Guidelines
A media sponsorship is a partnership between Chicago Phoenix/Merewell Inc. and a non-profit organization in which mutually beneficial services are exchanged. We participate in media sponsorships as part of our mission to serve the LGBTQ community and donate 10 percent of our pre-tax revenue to charitable organizations.
There are two parts to the Media Sponsorship application process, non-profit approval and event approval. All organizations who wish to partner with Chicago Phoenix must be approved for the calendar year.
1. Approval Application:
- To apply you must be a legal representative of a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization or non-profit agency. We do not accept applications from 501(c)(4), PACs, or federally unchartered organizations.
- The open application period is Jan. 15 – Feb. 15; applications must be submitted during this timeframe for the upcoming calendar year.
- Organizations must submit, with their applications, certified Form 990s from the past two fiscal years.
Approved organizations are awarded a yearly Sponsorship budget. Once this budget is exhausted, no more sponsorships are available for the remainder of the year.
2. Event Application:
- Events and programs must be submitted for approval at least 8 weeks prior to the event date.
- Events or programs must have appeal and value and/or provide some service or benefit to the local LGBTQ community.
- Priority will be given to events or programs that are free and open to the public.
- Events related to candidates for office or political organizations will be denied.
- Priority will be given to events or programs that target a diverse population or address a community need.
- Events must include reciprocal benefits for Chicago Phoenix and conform to the established Brand Standards guide.
- Organizations with a box office and/or charge admission to the event are expected to contract for a minimum ad buy of $500.
- Media sponsorships are not associated with media coverage.
Media Sponsorship Scheduling Information:
- Media sponsorships will be guaranteed but rotated throughout our available spots.
- Media sponsorship packages will be run 2-4 weeks prior to the event unless an alternative schedule is developed.
- Multiple media sponsorships within an organization should be spaced more than a month apart and the number of sponsorships per organization, per year is usually limited to four.
- Spots cannot include other sponsor information on promotional announcements, only the non-profit organization and event information.
- The organization may also wish to promote the event or program beyond the media sponsorship.