The Palm Card is a weekend rundown of our top news stories based on pageviews and viral impact in the community.
5. Chicago area students observe Day of Silence, celebrate Night of Noise
Students from across the Chicagoland area gathered outside the Thompson Center in the Loop Friday to celebrate the culmination of the Day of Silence at a Night of Noise event organized by the Illinois Safe Schools Alliance.
4. Low numbers hinder Chicago delegation of simultaneous worldwide LGBT marches
3. Ann Sather adds location in Edgewater Beach
Ann Sather Swedish Cuisine and Catering will be opening a new location at 1147 W. Granville, the latest eatery to open in the Edgewater Beach neighborhood. It is a high-profile entry to an LGBT enclave currently seeing fast-paced revitalization.
2. Communities to rally for slain transgender woman
A social worker at Taskforce Prevention and Community Services, is organizing a community event to call for answers in the murder of Paige Clay, a transgender woman who was killed on the city’s West Side on Monday morning.
1. Gay Illinois State University student says attack was a hate crime
An openly-gay Illinois State University student is recovering from several injuries he suffered from what he said was an antigay hate-inspired attack in front of his apartment near the Normal, Ill. campus early Saturday morning.