The Weekend Palm Card is a reader’s digest of our top news stories of the last seven days based on pageviews and viral impact in the community.
5. LGBT health expert discusses physical, mental health disparities with UIC students
Dr. Alicia K. Matthews spoke to a room of about 40 students at the University of Illinois at Chicago campus about health disparities among LGBTQ individuals Thursday as part of a UIC Pride for the national Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Awareness Week.
4. Garofalo talks LGBT youth health, advocacy at UIC
Dr. Robert Garofalo spoke to about 50 students at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Medicine Wednesday about the health of LGBT youth as a part of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Ally Health Week at the school.
3. Gay and Lesbian Wedding Expo kicks off Chicago gay marriage, civil union season
Carla Barger and Jessie Haddad have been looking for the perfect venue for their civil union ceremony for over two months, so they came to the fourth annual Rainbow Wedding Expo March 24 for ideas and information. The couple, like hundreds of others in the Chicagoland area are embarking on the process of tying the knot, a task that could present unique challenges for LGBT couples, according to organizers.
2. Chicago launches LGBT health action plan
1. Church leader known for anti-gay remarks to expand ministry to Rogers Park
An offshoot of the church led by Wilfredo de Jesús, a Pentecostal pastor whose past anti-gay remarks led to controversy during his run for mayor last year, will open in Rogers Park this April.